OW Cross Country
Thames Hare and Hounds Alumni Race 2016
Sat 17 Dec, 14:30.
If you would like to run and join the OW cross country team (we can enter a team of unlimited runners as long as they are OWs) please contact Anne Douglas: email@example.com before the end of November.
We may enter a team of unlimited numbers, but they must all be genuine alumni of Warwick School. Guest runners are welcome – whether partners, friends, parents, staff, current pupils, children, grandchildren – but cannot score as part of our team. The event is gender neutral.
There will be four team competitions within the race –
- The Henry VIII Trophy – an open race to be won by the team whose first four finishers have the lowest score, the winner of the race scoring 1 and so on upwards.
- The Old Brentwood’s Trophy - Veterans’ 40 race, participants to be aged 40 or over on race day, with three to score.
- The Chataway Trophy - the Veterans’ 50 race, participants to be aged 50 or over on race day, with three to score.
- The Old Denstonian Trophy - the Veterans’ 60 race, participants to be aged 60 or over on race day, with three to score.
- The Norman Berry Cup for the individual winner, who must be one of a team of at least three,
They are also recording finishers in the V70 category, and if there are sufficient entrants a trophy.
The race is over 5 miles of true cross country on Wimbledon Common. The start is at the Thames HQ – in the South corner of the playing fields to the immediate East of the Robin Hood roundabout on the A3 two miles SW of Putney. Changing facilities are available although they are not sufficient for the 200 + runners who attend. Tea and cakes are served immediately after the race to lead up to hopefully a prompt prize giving. Many teams move on to the nearby Telegraph pub to the west of Tibbett’s Corner roundabout on Putney Heath and this is encouraged.
Further details are on the Thames website including a map and directions www.thameshareandhounds.org.uk
Please note there are two important changes from previous years…
- TH&H have introduced an entry fee of £5 per person. We are told the £5 includes the best December outdoors tea ever!
- Entries are to be made using the Thames H&H online entry system. Details will follow in due course. All team members will need to login individually and pay their entry fee by card. Guests are welcome also but will need to login to the celebrities team - St Custards - and will not score.
Thames Hare and Hounds Alumni Race 2015
Congratulations to our team of ten OWs who completed the Thames Hare and Hounds Alumni Race over Wimbledon Common on Saturday 12 December.
Thames Hare and Hounds Alumni Race 2014
The Thames Hare and Hounds 62nd Alumni Race was a first for OW veterans Jack Thornton (WS 1951-58), Dave Phillips (WS 1955-61) and Martin Garrett (WS 1965-72).
The race, five miles up and over Wimbledon Common in early December, was across very tough terrain, through woods and along muddy trails.
Simon Wurr (WS 1988-95) has run the race many times (winning it in 2007, 2010 and 2013) but this was the first time, as far as we’re aware, that an OW team had competed. For Jack Thornton especially, getting fit and taking part was a great personal challenge. His wrong turn through the woods has made him even more determined to take part in 2015.
Many congratulations to the OW team, who were placed third in the Over 60s race (despite the wrong turn!).