OW Cross Country
Annual Thames Hare and Hounds Alumni Race, Wimbledon Common
OWs enter a team in the annual inter-schools alumni race, every December, over Wimbledon Common.
If you would like to run and join the OW cross country team (we can enter a team of unlimited runners as long as they are OWs) please contact Anne Douglas: email@example.com.
We may enter a team of unlimited numbers, but they must all be genuine alumni of Warwick School. Guest runners are welcome – whether partners, friends, parents, staff, current pupils, children, grandchildren – but cannot score as part of our team. The event is gender neutral.
There will be four team competitions within the race -
- The Henry VIII Trophy – an open race to be won by the team whose first four finishers have the lowest score, the winner of the race scoring 1 and so on upwards.
- The Old Brentwood’s Trophy - Veterans’ 40 race, participants to be aged 40 or over on race day, with three to score.
- The Chataway Trophy - the Veterans’ 50 race, participants to be aged 50 or over on race day, with three to score.
- The Old Denstonian Trophy - the Veterans’ 60 race, participants to be aged 60 or over on race day, with three to score.
- The Norman Berry Cup for the individual winner, who must be one of a team of at least three,
They are also recording finishers in the V70 category, and if there are sufficient entrants a trophy.
The race is over 5 miles of true cross country on Wimbledon Common. The start is at the Thames HQ – in the South corner of the playing fields to the immediate East of the Robin Hood roundabout on the A3 two miles SW of Putney. Changing facilities are available although they are not sufficient for the 200 + runners who attend. Tea and cakes are served immediately after the race to lead up to hopefully a prompt prize giving. Many teams move on to the nearby Telegraph pub to the west of Tibbett’s Corner roundabout on Putney Heath and this is encouraged.
Further details are on the Thames website including a map and directions www.thameshareandhounds.org.uk