Skip to content ↓

Old Warwickians

The Warwick School Story

Warwick School is the oldest surviving boys' grammar school in the world. School archivist Gervald Frykman charts here the history of the school through the centuries, from its early beginnings at the time of King Edward the Confessor, to the 21st century. Click on the menu bar for The Warwick School Story.

Key dates in the history of Warwick School

Reputed date of Foundation.

Two churches merged to run the small grammar school.

Lessons were held in the old church of St John the Baptist in the Market Place.

King Henry VIII re-founded the school as "The King's New Scole of Warwyke" and  moved to what is now the Lord Leycester Hospital.

The school moved to the disused mediaeval buildings of the Vicars Choral in St Mary's churchyard.

The first time a record of boys attending the school had been kept, when there were c.50 pupils.

Two schools merged and established on the Myton Road site, where it remains today.

The name Warwick School was unofficially introduced, with the motto Altiora Peto.

The school went bankrupt and merged with the King's Middle School in The Butts. 

The Governors were forced to declare Warwick School as an Independent School.

The school roll reached 1,000 pupils for the first time.

Warwick School celebrated its 1,100th anniversary, which included a visit by Prince Charles.

1912 Playing Fields