Skip to content ↓

Old Warwickians

Post-War Stability and Growth

By the time A. H. B. Bishop retired in 1962, there were 742 pupils and 44 staff in the senior and junior schools. 1958, The Queen Mother's VisitDuring the late 1940s and 1950s:

  • a new building called The Orlits was built
  • a new biology laboratory and Memorial Gymnasium were constructed
  • School Certificate examinations became O- and A-levels
  • new Chemistry and Physics laboratories were built, leaving Keeling’s original science block to be taken over by the Geography and History departments
  • there was a highly successful visit by HM Queen Mother in 1958, as well as earlier visits by Viscount Montgomery of Alamein and Sir Anthony Eden.

Headmaster and historian P. W. Martin (1962-77) continued to modernise the school:1966 Assembly

  • parents' evenings were introduced
  • Friends of Warwick School and the Community Service Organisation were set up
  • the compulsory wearing of the school cap was abolished
  • a language laboratory was created
  • the school's first computer was built
  • the School Mathematics Project, the Cambridge Classics Project and Nuffield Science were introduced
  • the Guy Nelson Hall was constructed
  • Big School was converted into the school library
  • Bridge House and its land were purchased
  • the English and Mathematics Departments got new teaching blocks
  • the temporary New Buildings were finally demolished after 55 years of use
  • the school bought its first blue and white minibus.